When it comes to workbooks, Thorogood is one of the best in quality, with their line of American Made work boots in the Thorogood Heritage Collection. In this post I will be reviewing the ins an outs of the Thorogood Workboot styles 804-4203 (6") and 804-4204 (8").
One of my favorite parts about this boot is how versatile and durable it is. As a cobbler its important to me that a boot be repairable. The Thorogood meets this standard with excellent leather uppers and welted soles.
- Lets talk about the sole of the Thorogood. The sole of this boot is a dual-density polyurethane (PU) sole. This means it has a softer PU material in the middle with a long wearing outer layer of PU. This adds comfort to the boot while retaining the great durability and slip resistance of the polyurethane
- The leather is a pliable, yet tough and durable oil tan leather
- The sole is welted which mean the boot is made fully sewn down as opposed to a glued or cemented construction. This makes the soles able to be replaced with new original Thorogood work soles. Welted soles can also make the boot more durable with numerous flexing, if you frequently crouch down at your job for example
- The padded heel collar is covered with leather instead of vinyl like many boots, which makes it much longer lasting
- The eyelets are made of brass hardware so they are very tough
Every time I pick up one of these boots I'm amazed at the softness of the leather compared to many work boots on the market. Slipping them on its clear the dual density sole and cushion footbed makes a huge difference in comfort.
- Dual-density sole further provides long-wearing cushion and comfort
- Premium soft leather molds to your foot and feels good right out of the box
- Thorogood's removable shock absorption cushion footbed adds to the comfort of the boot
- The padded collars give your ankle extra cushion and suport
- These boots come in many widths and sizes including a B (narrow), D (regular), EE (wide), and EEE (extra-wide). Which makes it easier to perfectly fit your foot. This is very important for a comfortable fitting boot
As for safety features the Thorogood American Heritage is a classic yet very versatile boot. I find that it's a good fit for many different job applications. As well as meeting all the safety standards required for most jobs.
- The sole of this boot is oil resistant, slip resistant, shock resisting and non-marking
- 90 degree heel for stability
- Fiberglass shank
- Electrical Hazard (EH) rated
- Steel toe that meets the ASTM F2413-11 M I/75 C/75 standard safety rating
As a shoe cobbler it's an important aspect that a boot be repairable, to me. These Thorogood workboots are not only highly durable but easily repaired.
- This boot is highly repairable. We can replace a worn sole with a new Original, Genuine Thorogood sole
- This boot can have protective leather toe caps applied over the toes to prevent wearing hole in the toe of the boot
- Replaceable footbed insole which mean that you can replace them with another orginal Thorogood insole once they wear out or put in your own insole/ orthotic footbed
*Note* Want all the durability and comfort of the Thorogood Heritage but don't need steel toe?